Wednesday, 14 October 2015

The Mono Meal

Last Christmas, I gave you my heart... em no, actually it was our first as vegans. I think our family members were a little concerned about what on earth they could and couldn't give to their newly different relatives. No gift could be, or was a disappointment though!
As part of the gift from my Mum and Dad, they gave us vouchers for Mono, a popular vegan cafe bar in Glasgow.  We were both very excited by this, but my unpredictable health, and our total lack of social motivation ensured that we stumbled at every hurdle on the way to going there! Until now, that is!

As Steven was on holiday last week, we wanted to do our best to make it happen! We planned it out in advance, I tried to manage my pain and conserve my energy, all so we had a fighting chance of making it out the door! Despite being in a lot of pain as usual, my overall energy feeling was much better than usual, i.e. I didn't feel like I was dragging myself around like a dead weight, instead I felt excited and awake!

Anyone living with chronic pain and exhaustion will know that there was no way on earth that this unusual feeling could be taken for granted! Not knowing how long it could last, I just had to go with it and hope for the best!

It really seemed like it was just meant to happen this time! Instead of me rushing around, running late, being stressed and in a fluster, things just seemed to be going at a nice steady pace! Everything was going as it should and I was still feeling 'good'! We got to Glasgow in a stress-free drive, found a space in the car park, saw that Mono was literally across the road and just felt great!

It isn't normal for outings to go well for me. They are generally rare, stressful and uncomfortable, to say the least! This particular outing was the first social one I have had in a long time. In months. Possibly only the 2nd this year! Don't get me wrong, I get to see my friends regularly, just two days earlier I was with all my friends at the health centre getting all my blood taken away for tests. Oh, wait a minute, I think they were actually nurses...oh well, never mind. Don't feel sorry for me though cos a whole month earlier, I got to go out to the Pain Clinic, that was no fun, but I got a new packet of colouring pencils as a reward on the way home! (This is sadly true lol!)
So, as I am sure you more social people can imagine, this Mono trip was quite a big thing to me, and to my husband! We actually got out of the flat together, and went for a meal! A gorjus meal! The most gorjus meal I have eaten in a long time!!

I was so excited about our day trip that I had been sneaking a wee look at the menu online. I was delighted to see all the amazingly delicious options available, and every single thing is vegan! No animals were harmed in the making of our meal!! I cannot express how freeing it is to go to a restaurant, browse the menu, and know that you can choose absolutely any item you see!! Rare!

We shared a starter of beautiful warm flatbreads with the best hummus ever! (I am still dreaming of those flatbreads 5 days later!) Choosing the main meal was hard, there is such an array of delicious options!
Before I went in, my tummy and eyes were grabbed by the Seitan Burger. I actually daydreamed about what this might be like! When we were actually there,  knowing a decision had to be made, I was torn between a couple of the pizza options and the coveted Seitan Burger. Then Steven decided he would have the burger. Nooooooo! My stupid brain says I'll have to order something different, otherwise I am wasting an opportunity for us both to try new things! Arrgh! Thankfully I had a quiet word with myself, and realised that we could both indeed have this burger. And we did. And it was absolutely amazing! Lovely gooey melted vegan cheese all over this juicy, delicious burger, smothered in BBQ sauce, mustard on the side. Every bite was just to die for, except nobody had to! They must do the best chips in the world! So so so so delicious! Even the salad was superb and moreish!

I honestly tried to persuade Mr B that we should go back 2 days later, I just could not stop thinking of our culinary experience! We are both so blown away by the food at Mono, and cannot wait to go back for more. Wasn't that the most thoughtful and genius Christmas gift ever? And due to the fact that the prices are so good at this place, we still have half of the voucher value left! Result!

I cannot express just how fabulous this place is. Whether you are Vegan or not, you will have an amazing meal here! Not only that, but you can sample craft beers, soft drinks that are brewed in their in-house microbrewery, an ethical blend of coffee that is designed and roasted specifically for Mono! As if all that wasn't enough, they are also a popular music venue!!

We cannot wait until our next visit!

Thank you Mum, Dad and Mono!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment