Sunday, 7 December 2014

The First Snow

I am like a small child when I see those first magical snowflakes falling from the skies. It signals the real start of the Christmas season to me. I know that as an adult we are programmed to hate snow, I mean it’s cold, makes the roads dangerous and causes all sorts of havoc so why wouldn’t it be hated? But I really do love being all wrapped up and cosy inside the house, watching the beautiful flakes falling and creating a gorjus winter scene.

Growing up in the Highlands of Scotland, we always had lots of snow in the winter. I remember many power cuts, snowball fights, sledging and snowdrifts. There were times when the snowplough would block the opening to our street in order to keep the main roads clear. More than once our cul-de-sac suddenly had a mountain of snow following a visit from the plough. These things were all amazing to a child!! A power cut means schools are shut and you are free to play in the snow! What’s not to love?
The mountain of snow turned into a snow fort and all sorts of fun.

We nearly always had a White Christmas which just made it so magical and complete. So as the years pass and the sparkle slowly seeps aways from the festive season, the gradual lack of snow at Christmas just makes it glaringly obvious that I have aged. But even though we rarely get the White Christmas these days, we still get winter snow which can be just amazing!

So today as I pulled open the curtains and was greeted with giant snowflakes floating past my eyes, the excitement was there in an instant! Just like the child I once was, I was giddy and squealing. Up until that point I wasn’t really feeling Christmassy but in that split second, everything changed. The first snow of the Christmas season has arrived and I couldn’t be happier.

1 comment:

  1. Now we are experiencing Thundersnow eek. Very dark at 2:30 in the afternoon - should’ve been a sign that something was on the way!!

    ReplyDelete