Friday, 29 May 2015

The Duke who stole my heart!

Since becoming Vegan, and learning a lot of vivid truths about the meat and dairy industries, I have struggled with how to handle the emotions brought on by the truth. I felt helpless and hopeless and like there was absolutely nothing I could do to change the way animals are treated and seen by the majority of the world.
Then one day, I stumbled upon a facebook post about a bullock named Duke. I went on to read his story and watch his videos and I absolutely fell in love with him!

This is a photo of the lovely Duke Bullock with his best friend, Kevin Lamb! What a gorjus pair they are!

Duke is a dwarf hereford bullock who was rescued by Calf Sanctuary in Scarborough. He had been destined for death by bullet before they stepped in to save him. He was considered an embarrassment to his breed and had been rejected by the farming industry. Thank goodness the people who had him contacted Sharon at the sanctuary, otherwise this little sweetheart’s life would have ended long ago.

Duke was injured and lost the ability to walk and stay upright. Thankfully, his new mum and family have been the best thing possible for him! Since being at the Sanctuary, they have worked so hard to help him and he is now able to walk a little bit unaided and get to his feet by himself. He still needs lots of care and attention to get him even stronger and more confident. He has set backs and these can be very disheartening for him and his family.

There is very little help available to the sanctuary, so all the work is being done by his mum and dad. They are so dedicated to him, they truly love this little boy, and you can tell he loves them too!

Duke isn’t the only one who lives at the Sanctuary, there are many other boys and girls needing care and love too. On top of this, the wonderful Calf Cafe can now only open at the weekends. They need this Cafe to fund the sanctuary and their lives, and there just doesn’t seem to be the help out there for this to be possible.

Duke has his own facebook page which is brilliant. He updates it regularly, sharing selfies of him and his mum, embarrassing Kevin by showing his baby pictures, he is open and honest about his set backs, and is very grateful for all the love and support he receives.

I want to do whatever I can to help Duke and his friends. He truly is inspirational and you just can’t help but fall in love with him! If you would like to help Duke to walk again, you can donate to his fund here www.gofundme.com/help-him-walk Any amount you can spare will help him!

Other ways you can help is to share his story. The more people who know about him, the more chance there is for help.

If you’d like to know more about the wonderful work that they do at Calf Sanctuary, please take a look at their website www.calfsanctuary.com They even have an online shop where you can buy all sorts of great things including Vegan treats, t-shirts, hoodies, gifts and much more!

There are so many beautiful animals that have a wonderful life thanks to the amazing work that is done by this sanctuary. They can only continue to make a difference with the help of people like us! They have a wish list set up through Amazon so that supporters can buy exactly what is needed for the animals to thrive! If you’re interested in getting a little something from there, here is the link www.calfsanctuary.com/wishlist/

I am eagerly looking forward to the day that I can meet Duke Bullock, Kevin Lamb and the rest of the gang. They deserve all the cuddles and love in the world!

I will leave you with another photo of the beautiful Duke!



Moo kisses and licks x x x

46 comments:

  1. Sometimes the "best thing possible" is having compassion to know when to say enough. This animal is clearly in pain.

    This lady gave up her job and is now begging for donations on social media. First rule of rescue is don't take on more than you can afford to support BY YOURSELF for at least 3 months. HER choice to keep this cow going and HER choice to quit her job. Makes one wonder if she is keeping him alive for him or her. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your reply, but i have to disagree with you. Duke is not suffering, he is a very happy little lad. He is simply having some issues. The job she has given up is running the sanctuary cafe. This is something she is actually still doing, but has had to reduce hours as she wants to dedicate her time to getting Duke moving again. The Sanctuary is always going to rely heavily on donations and public support, as does any other charity. I wouldn’t say she is begging, she is proactive in garnering support from like minded animal lovers. If more people were like her, the world would be a much better place.
    The animals don’t miss out on anything, they are very well cared for. She is simply trying to get more support in order to keep this going, educate others and ensure there is a future for the animals and any future rescues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually this is directly from the fundraiser "I have now quit my work fulltime to care for duke and that, means that my income self employment will fall at a time through the summer when we really need it..." Now apparently there is a beg to buy property in the works?

      Yeah...ok.

      Delete
    2. I do not follow your point? Yes, the work she talking about is the Cafe. She has had to go from full time to only opening at weekends. Are you saying she shouldn’t be working? Or she shouldn’t be going part time? Or what? And are they not allowed to buy property? Everyone else in the world has this right! They need property to house the animals, and the humans! She could always continue paying rent to the landlord, or she could do as she is wanting to, and be paying the money towards eventually owning the place she lives and works.

      Delete
    3. By her own words she is not working anymore and has an ongoing fundraiser. Then to say there is a fundraiser in the works to buy more land? She is free to choose to work whatever hours or not that she desires, but then asking, no expecting everyone else to pay for her pets?

      I love and want to help animals so I worked as hard as I possibly could, saved my money, bought my property and NOW I can do exactly what I want...without expecting others to pay for it.

      Delete
    4. You're clearly hell bent on believing the reality you've decided upon, despite being repeatedly told that you haven't got the correct information.
      Sharon is indeed working. She works weekends at the cafe. She's made the decision to reduce the opening hours to just weekends because she hasn't been able to find someone else to work there, so she can either do it herself 7 days a week and leave the animals to fend for themselves, or she can do what she's chosen to, try to do both!
      These animals are not her pets, they are beloved family members that she has lovingly cared for since rescuing them.
      Duke is getting dedicated care and attention because Sharon has chosen to cut her hours to do that.
      You honestly believe she's trying to get something for nothing?
      She would love to pay for everything herself, but as with most charities, that is not realistic and they all rely on public funding.
      They are perfectly entitled to hold a fundraiser for whatever they need. You are perfectly entitled to not donate if you don't believe in it, as is the rest of the world.
      I truly am sorry for you that you've had such awful experiences in life that have left you with this bitter, sceptical view of the rest of the world.
      I applaud you for being an animal rescuer, and the way you went about it. I would ask that you perhaps choose a better way to pass on your wisdom and expertise to those you feel need it, as the way you're doing it tends to put people off from thinking you're coming from a good place!

      Delete
  3. Jane Litchfield30 May 2015 at 15:14

    Anonymous - Duke isn't suffering. If you don't agree and don't want to donate, please just pass on. I don't understand the need to leave negative comments. Plus you're missing the bigger picture - Duke is symbolic of many millions of cows suffering right now due to dairy and meat industry and his story is also raising awareness of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely piece. Duke and CALF Sanctuary are hard working people caring for many of the killing industries 'waste' animals.
    If more people got of their backside, stopped eating corpse and secretions these animals wouldn't need sanctuary.
    What a messed up world when the weakest need protection from the arrogant.

    Anyone can clearly see how far Duke has come since the Sanctuary took him in.
    He was so unhappy and lost in those first pictures, now he loves life, his eyes are alive and he enjoys the company of the other animals. If he wasn't happy it would show in his eyes.

    Thank you for sharing this story. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a different anonymous but anonymous 1 is somewhat correct (unfortunately it's necessary to be anonymous as it's an emotive issue and criticism is taken to be heartless).

    There is no doubt that CALF sanctuary's heart is in the right place but are the interests of Duke being looked after? I'm not sure they are. If a farmer were to keep a young bullock in a situation where he cannot stand up by himself, cannot walk more than a few metres unaided and cannot interact properly with his own kind then we'd call it cruelty. I've seen videos posted on the facebook page of Duke falling down, writhing on his side, covered in mud/faeces and recently depressed and groaning (this was apparently him being 'sleepy' - healthy, happy cattle do NOT act like that). Each one of these posts is accompanied by commentary from 'Duke' but in reality what Duke is really thinking is unknown, however as a crippled prey species I can guess that these experiences are extremely distressing.

    The fact that he's a bullock rather than a horse, dog or cat is regularly cited as a reason why he can't be helped. The sad fact is that the majority of animals, of all species, that are unable to walk are put to sleep for their own benefit. With dogs a wheelchair may work but in cats and horses it can't be done while keeping the animal happy - the same is true for cattle. Cattle are heavy (even dwarfs) and they need to be able get up and lie down when they want to make digestion comfortable and effective.

    I know this comment will not go down well but It needs to be said. The dairy and meat industry is cruel and people need to know that, but it's also cruel to keep a severely injured bullock alive as a 'symbol'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Very well said.

      Delete
    2. Duke is not being kept alive as a symbol. Duke is living because he was born! Like you and I!
      They are working hard to help duke to get better. Is there really a deadline on when someone should be better? It is different for everyone and every health concern.
      I appreciate the fear of putting your name to comments that are emotive, but if you feel strong enough to say it, and you believe in it, you shouldn’t be hiding behind anonymity. Obviously that is just my opinion.
      Do you eat animals? Do you wear them? If so, I challenge you to try to change that, even reduce it if thats easier to start with.
      None of this suffering would be happening if it wasn’t for the demand created by consumers, and the greed of the industry.
      Instead of trying to make a kind hearted person feel terrible for doing something amazing, please try to do something that can have a positive impact on the lives of the worlds animals.

      Delete
    3. After you have had people threaten you and yours for having a differing opinion then please come talk to me about remaining anonymous.

      No, there shouldn't be a deadline for "someone" to get better. For humans to get better. That's why we were given brains, to make smarter choices. It's up to us as animal caretakers to make the best choices for our animals. Keeping one alive when he cannot even walk unaided, cannot be with his own kind and is according to "Duke" on his own page in his very own words is suffering setbacks and is in pain is the height of cruelty. Why let him continue to suffer?

      Delete
  6. Dukes vet hasn't said he should be destroyed so why do people who haven't been around him 'know' just what Duke needs?
    Farmers don't keep animals in this state because they are not profitable!
    Other farms keep animals in wicked states to gain as much as they can from them.
    The ones complicit in this outrage are the ones eating corpse and secretions!

    You have no way of telling if Duke will recover. When his eyes stop shining we will know. For those who truly care know when an animal they live with has had enough.

    I've cared for disabled animals and the Vet said PTS but I knew that animal well and they went on to recover.
    Duke is not 'severely' injured. You've seen Duke falling down and writhing on his side? I haven't seen him fall. As for writhing I think you mean he was struggling to get up unaided.
    Did you see where he DID get up unaided? That he has good and bad days like you or I if recovering from injury?
    If people stopped using animals, stopped eating their rotting corpse then the world would be better placed to help any injured animals.
    Are you going to tell Hero the double amputee cow that he should have had a bullet? Or Dudley in the USA? Or maybe the cow who had wheels built for him? Or maybe the Elephant that had wheels built? And on they go..good people doing something constructive instead of criticising.
    And I still don't understand anonymous? Even if you gave your name I wouldn't know you from Harry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed I would tell the owner of hero that he should be PTS, Dudley as well. The elephant? No, elephants are much more intelligent than cows and seem to actually do well with 1 prosthetic.

      You may want to do more checking on some of the ones you named, hero has been nothing but exploited since the day she got him. SHE did not pay for his surgeries or fake legs, she fundraised for it all and STILL has not paid the bills on him. She IS a first class shyster, scammer, con artist.

      Delete
    2. You clearly have no idea of intelligence if you can only see it in Elephants and not cows.
      NO rescues pay for the animals not even the Elephant rescues. lol.
      You are so very bitter.

      Delete
    3. And you are very delusional. Enjoy the kool aide.

      Delete
    4. Haha. Yes and you clearly are not Omniscient.

      Delete
    5. Well you clearly think that you know more than your vets and have no qualms keeping animals alive even when advised by the experts to humanely PTS. There is no hope for poor Duke, he will be kept alive until you have no further use for him...sad little thing. Think of the suffering he will go thru not being able to play with his own kind, not being able to run free in the sunshine....

      Poor little thing. :-(

      Delete
    6. No experts have said he should be humanely pts. Where are you getting this from? ‘no further use for him’ ???? What do you mean by this? What are you suggesting that he is being used for?
      The money being raised is for his ongoing care, the care of the other animals and the future of the sanctuary. Nobody is keeping any animal alive that shouldn’t be. These are all true animal lovers. He has his own kind around him, and many other kind. Most cows are used for meat or milk and then killed. He is free from that life and is living well. Just because it doesn’t fit in with the existence you want for him, doesn’t meant it is wrong. He is not a sad little thing. He is a very contented little chap and as soon as there is a change to that, if ever, the correct steps will be taken. Why you continue to ignore that fact is beyond me.

      Delete
  7. Sometimes it's difficult for vets to advise clients of the best thing when the owner so obviously would not listen.

    Writhing or struggling to get up, it's the same suffering. I call an injury that inhibits an animals life to that extent 'severe'. Sometimes the most compassionate thing you can do for an animal is to know when to stop, some of the animals with prosthesis/wheelchairs do well but others (mostly the large ones) suffer because people with a misplaced idea of kindness want to keep them going at any cost.

    It's been months since the initial injury and any improvement in his ability to get around has been negligible. 'Downer cattle' ARE treated with slings/ floatation tanks etc but this needs to be in the first few weeks after injury and you'd expect to see some major improvement in this time if there was going to be any at all. How long is poor Duke going to be left in the state he's in? For all the helpdukewalk hashtags, there doesn't seem to be any realistic plan for making this happen - have you ever considered the possibility that the reason vets, wheelchair companies etc haven't come up with a solution is because their isn't one that would work for Duke?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again. Now this may come off as cynical but that's ok. Personally and in my opinion only I think when donations dry up and he cannot be exploited further (hopefully) they will do the right thing and have him humanely PTS.

      Did you know there is a beg for $$$ to buy land in the works?


      People wonder why I'm cynical and burnt out on the rescue issues. So many people exploiting and abusing animals plus it's very disheartening to be made to be the bad guy when I truly only have the animals best interest at heart. Having said that, I will not go quietly away like they hope and I certainly will not stop voicing my opinions.

      Delete
    2. How do you know 'the owner so obviously wouldn't listen'? It is discussed, the Vet would have said shoot him instead of giving him treatment!
      I can only assume anonymous are in the killing industry and see animals as here for our use.
      SO we'd best kill all animals, humans included, if they have a disability. Save the NHS billions.
      Rescue workers do know when to stop. You are not on site with Duke, you cannot tell from pictures what is best for him.
      Hero doesn't look as if he's suffering, neither does Dudley.
      Downer cattle are treated...yeah with a bullet usually.
      Have you ever considered the possibility that things are happening in the background to help Duke that isn't being said?!
      If you don't like it, move on.

      Delete
    3. Urgh., I don't work in the killing industry, I don't use eat or wear animals - in fact I've never eaten meat. Of course anyone who disagrees with your opinion must be the devil with no relationship with animals....

      Can you tell from photos and videos of cattle/pig/chicken farms that the animals are suffering? If so what's the difference here? In your opinion if someone believes an animal to be suffering should they a) comment on it b) shut up and move on? The latter is what you're asking me to do but in any other situation I'm sure it would be the former.

      If in a year he's walking then I'll happily eat my words but I think the sad likelihood is that I will not happen and he'll continue to suffer. When it all eventually comes to an end you'll pat yourselves on the back for being so good and different to those who neglect their duties to the animals in their care, however from the animals point of view - unable to walk/ run/ play with another cow - are you that different?

      Delete
    4. I don't know who is whoo because you both dare not give a name, even a made up one!
      Elephants are intelligent and cows are not.
      Those cows rehabilitated should have been shot.
      We are pushing our thoughts and feeling on animals but you are not.
      All within this thread.
      You treat people like imbeciles saying they can't make a clear decision about where THEIR money goes when donating.
      You don't agree with it, fine. Move on.
      The only one having the last word on this will be Duke he WILL say when HE has had enough!

      Delete
    5. Anonymous #2 it doesn't matter what we say, this Sally person doesn't even listen to her vets according to her own words!

      "I've cared for disabled animals and the Vet said PTS but I knew that animal well and they went on to recover."

      How amazing it must be to be smarter than the people who have spent years in school studying to be vets!

      Also no one said that cows weren't intelligent, I sad that elephants are smarter than cows and have done better with prosthetics.

      You do enjoy your pretzel logic don't you?

      Delete
    6. Oh boy you really don't understand animals or vets very well do you?
      You think Vets know it all? Maybe the Vet in question has had so many complaints made against her she was fired from the practice..lol.
      I know the animals in my care better than any Vet. They know how to TREAT they do not know the animal!
      Stop harassing good people on Social media and do something constructive.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous #2 I think I love you.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I fully support the CALF Sanctuary, and the amazing support and commitment they give to all the animals in their care, especially Duke. For those who think that Duke should be euthanised, I know you say that it is in Duke's best interests, but I say that only those who care for him, and interact with him every day, should be trusted to make that call. We can't comment from the sidelines on something as important as a life. If they can help him, if they can allow him to walk again and have a happy, healthy life surrounded by love and friendship, isn't that worth it? With so much cruelty and death in the world, let's fight for something good and positive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not sure why the two anonymous people have such negative attitudes towards the sanctuary, Duke and Sharon. The reason that no vets will help is because they see cows as meat products. Therefore, there isn’t anything in place for looking after them the same way as they would for cats and dogs. This doesn’t mean that Duke deserves to die does it?
    I do not see an animal in pain, or miserable. He is a lovely little lad who has friends, he is around other animals and has a wonderful chance at life.
    The reason there is no wheelchair as yet is because it isn’t everyday that a cow would need one. Everyone would bend over backwards if he was a dog, but thats because theres a lot of warped ideas about some animals being worthy and others not.
    Cows are not stupid, they are very intelligent. if you have evidence from the study comparing elephants and cows, I would love to see it so I can be educated.
    Cows, like most animals, have feelings. They are loving, they are loved, they feel fear, they feel happiness, joy, sorrow, loss etc. They are smart, gentle sentient beings who are equally deserving of life.
    I personally am in a huge amount of pain on a daily basis. There is no Doctor able to help me as yet. There is no medicine I can take to magically improve things. No precedent in the medical world for many people like myself, who present with out of the norm symptoms, don’t react as expected to the medications that help the majority, get worse with a condition thats not supposed to be degenerative etc.
    If we had the attitude of euthanising all lame beings we’d be in a very sorry state!
    Nobody is in this for fame and fortune. If you took the time to read the background of the sanctuary and how it all began, you might realise the truly beautiful reasons behind it.
    People need to stop believing that cows, sheep, pigs, chickens etc are here for humans to consume and wear. There is no humane way to end their lives, they are very poorly treated, terrified, and their short lives are filled with misery.
    People like Sharon who give a home and kindness to these animals should be facing nothing but gratitude and help.
    And your comment about the fact they are needing to buy land, what exactly are you getting at? Do you think the land is for developing real estate? They need to find a better location for the sanctuary. Somewhere that they can own, rather than rent, so they are not restricted with what they can do if they need to make modifications etc. So they can help more animals, so they can have the right environments for the different kinds of animals.
    I honestly cannot understand what on earth you think their motivation is other than the truth of helping animals who would otherwise be in a very dire situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all vets view cattle as meat products. I speak from experience there. It would be illegal to transport him to a hospital in the condition he's currently in and then what would you do with him once he's there? Major limb surgery is not even carried out on horses which are kept as pets due to the risk of complications being massive. General anaesthetic in cattle is very risky, far more risky than a dog.

      So the next idea is to put him a wheelchair. One company has already said it wouldn't work. It also gives Duke no control over when he gets up and down - this is vital for cattle as they need to be down to ruminate and ideally up to eat. Without that they have painful problems with gas in their stomach and the reflux of stomach contents - I would guess that was why Duke was depressed, groaning and burping in the video where he was apparently 'sleepy'.

      Of course cows are intelligent and feeling which is why it's more wicked to keep one indefinitely off their legs unable to do almost every single thing they'd want to do if able to walk. Duke isn't just bit lame, he's totally crippled.

      Human egos and intentions mean nothing to a suffering animal. Duke has a quality of life worse than your average field kept cow and it matters not to him that he has 3000 followers on facebook or is made to wear a silly hat, what he needs is someone to make sensible and brave decisions about his future.

      Delete
    2. As I said previously, Duke will show when and if he has had enough.
      This isn't about FB posts creating fans. It's about finding him some help.
      If and when Duke shows he is unhappy then the decision will be made without question.
      You seem to think that hasn't already been discussed! It has, with all his carers who right now feel it isn't the appropriate time. !

      Delete
    3. You seem to know an awful lot of detail about Dukes story!!! So the company who said it wouldn’t work, they had a reason about his skin. They don’t actually know because they don’t deal with cows normally. He wouldn’t be permanently in the wheelchair, which you already know as we discussed it the other night!!
      The wheelchair is designed to work as stabilisers to help his confidence and strength. He would only be using it during times when he is essentially having physiotherapy. At the moment he does it all unaided and its a lot for anyone to handle that. Just as humans get temporary crutches, moon boots, etc.
      I fail to see how he is totally crippled when he is now able to get up and down unaided, and can walk unaided, just not all the time. Sharon knows exactly how his digestive system works, which is why she ensures he has time on his feet and time off his feet.
      If you bothered to watch both the videos, you would see he was actually asleep and snoring. I burp from time to time, that doesn’t mean I should be killed. Only the people who are around him all the time can truly understand his moods, how he is doing etc.
      How has he got a worse life quality that the average field kept cow? He has one on one attention on a daily basis, he is given so much love and attention that he couldn’t possibly feel anything but loved. He clearly loves his new surroundings and family. He has off days like any living being.
      I am 99.9% sure who you are.
      I invite you to stop closely following the life of Duke seeing as you are so bothered by how cruel it is and how money grabbing his rescuers are.
      Why don’t you focus on your own life and those in it. Your love for horses is wonderful, you obviously enjoy being around them, which is lovely. I can’t believe that you put so much focus and attention into berating other people for doing what they think is right.
      If you put this level of detail into some other areas of life, perhaps you would feel less inclined to try brining others down. Who knows. Only you know you!
      I hope you have a lovely life. Leave others to get on with doing what they are doing, and do something valuable yourself. I just hope you aren’t made to feel bad for doing it!

      Delete
    4. So are you Dukes vet? Is that why the anonymity.
      Have to say I aint come across a vet yet that doesn't view cattle as anything other than carcass and money.
      If you are a vet then say so, give your thoughts and reasons some credibility.
      Though Vets aint God and do get it wrong, you're only human after all, but say if you are a vet.

      Delete
    5. So far on facebook I've been branded a shallow, bitter, twisted troll - do you really think that I would open myself and my family up to that sort of abuse? I'm staying anonymous, sorry.

      You've also managed to deliberately misinterpret who I am and what I'm saying. I don't eat or use animal products so I've no need to "look closer to home" - I specifically told you this Sally, yet you choose to lie because it fits your agenda. Also claiming I have no compassion, I do but it doesn't extend to the egos of humans that are allowing an animal to suffer.

      I am not saying Duke's future should be reconsidered because he's a bullock, I'd say the exact same thing if he were a horse or a cat. The fact is he cannot do barely any of the things a happy young bullock would want to do and he's completely isolated from his own kind (presumably nobody sleeps with him, so he's completely isolated from human company for much of the time) That's extremely stressful for a herd animal.

      The fact Duke isn't thriving after Months and is actually going backwards should be telling you something. Sadly it seems like your waiting for him to be collapsed and on the brink of death before you'll do the right thing.

      Delete
    6. No I have not lied.
      I realised it was you on FB from your harassment of Hero.
      I said I would look into it and I am doing.
      You don't help yourself or your cause and lost it when you commented about plants feeling pain.
      Why would I bother with your family? Either say what you have to say on our page in your own name or lose any credibility.

      As I KEEP saying, you are not on site, you cannot tell how Duke is.
      GO and do something constructive for goodness sake.
      Yes I said you are bitter, how can one person spend so much time harassing other people is usually out of bitterness.
      I didn't say you had no compassion.

      You thought Sharon didn't work? She does, you say he is isolated, he is not. You have latched on to Duke/Sharon and are hell bent on causing trouble.

      We are waiting for him to be on the brink of death, don't be so stupid and childish. IF Duke has had enough then the issue will be dealt with.

      I have no time to waste with such obnoxious, ignorant comments.

      Delete
    7. Anonymous #2 you cannot have a debate or even a conversation with someone who uses pretzel logic. Everything you say will be twisted to suit whatever tangent she decides to go off on.

      Let us just hope that the poor thing does not have to suffer too long.

      Delete
    8. OMG!!!! You just showed your true colors "we are waiting for him to be on the brink of death".

      So whatever happens to him in the meantime doesn't matter. You are a disgusting, cruel person.

      Delete
    9. Nobody is going after you or your family, why do you think that they would? We are dealing with compassionate caring people here. You may be getting called a troll because you are anonymous, and continue to make inflammatory accusations.
      You accuse people of deliberately misinterpreting who you are and what you are saying, but isn’t that exactly what you are doing to Sharon and those who support the sanctuary?
      You may well be someone who doesn’t eat or use animals products, and I applaud you for that, but it is hard to follow who said what cos theres two of you who refuse to show your identity, so how do readers establish who is who easily?
      The fact that he isn’t thriving as you put it, is not because he isn’t going to recover. Many animals and people face set backs, slow recoveries etc, it certainly doesn’t mean that they are not worth fighting for.
      He is not isolated, he is surrounded by people and animals, including those of his own kind.
      I truly am sorry for any misconceptions or misjudgements that have been made about you, but it is only natural for people to judge based on what you have said and shown of yourself. Just as you have taken the position of judgement towards Calf Sanctuary, Sharon, Duke and the dedicated supporters.
      Why not just leave it alone now? You have repeatedly made your point, attacked those who have been brave enough to stand up for animals, their friends, their like minded fellow humans and themselves, and tried your best to bring doubt and disrepute to a person and non profit organisation that is trying its hardest to do the best by its residents and supporters.
      I am sorry for you that you have had such awful experiences that lead you to see truly kind hearted people and goodness as a front for money grabbing, fame hungry fraudsters who are only out for themselves. I hope you find happiness and peace in your life, truly.

      Delete
    10. And seeing as there are two so called anonymous, how do you know the finger was pointing at you unless you are from the same page/person? LOL.

      Delete
  11. Thank you for a lovely piece of writing Caroline. I am no expert on cattle and freely admit that I know little about them. This is precisely why I find the work of farm sanctuaries so fascinating as it seems to me that they are the only ones in the UK today who are offering cattle anything like a natural life. I actually can't remember the last time I saw a calf in a field with it's mother and there aren't so many herds of cows to be seen in fields either these days. Yet there is plenty of beef for sale and it's not all imported. This indicates to me that vast quanties of cattle are living and meeting a bloody end in cramped and enclosed conditions far away from human sight. Those who claim to be experts on their care are concerned with them as relatively short-term commodities. The rest of us don't get a chance to see if they are right or wrong. I am not interested in what 'experts' from the meat industry have to say about Duke's care. Those people cannot even be trusted to use words like 'humane' and 'compassionate' in their correct senses. Let's leave Duke's care to his human family and his vet. Anyone who can help is welcome to help but others should go away and find someone else to annoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please explain this "natural life" that duke is living? How does it in any way resemble a "normal" calf?

      PS I am not employed as a vet or in the meat industry.

      Delete
    2. Please tell me of ANY calf that has a natural life? They don't because human adults like to suckle from another species.
      Instead of hounding those helping animals abused by the industry try doing something constructive with your time.
      Duke is happy and enjoying his time right now, when and IF that changes then discussions will take place with HIS VET and those in HIS care team, and the appropriate action will be taken.

      Delete
  12. A normal calf would be separated from its mother and killed by now. He has others of his kind around so I'm not sure why you think he's alone?
    He can indeed stand and walk unaided as seen in multiple videos.
    He has to have a chance to improve.
    Sharon is doing the Physio herself and when she's able to do it in concentrated blocks, he does improve.
    Everyone has setbacks. He isn't in pain that his family or vets are aware of.
    I don't know why you're so against the attempts to help him, but that's your own choice/view.
    I wish you could see the joy and happiness in his eyes and those around him. He isn't being kept alive for selfish reasons. The family have always been clear about the fact that they will do the right thing for him.
    I have personally had conversations with Sharon and professionals and I can assure you, he is being treated well and his best interests are at the forefront of everything they do!
    If you have some information to the contrary, please come forward to explain and make sure that your expertise or experience isn't wasted hidden behind what looks like bitterness of a jealous person.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Clearly I appreciate that our anonymous friends aren't going to read a reply a say that they suddenly agree.
    I just want people to understand that there's no malice or greed or anything other than compassion behind each and every rescue at calf sanctuary.
    Anyone who believes otherwise is welcome to their opinions but I'd appreciate it if they would leave it there. We will have to agree to disagree.
    There is nothing to be gained from arguing on here.
    We should put our passion and energy into doing good for our own causes.
    Thank you for the debate x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No malice until someone's opinion doesn't fit with theirs and then you're a twisted, bitter, jealous, meat-eating troll.

      I commented because I see an animal who's quality of life, as a young bullock, is severely compromised. Any farm keeping animals that cannot move more than a few metres, cannot interact with their own kind and cannot get up and down when they want to feed, scratch and deficate would be cruel, yet in this case it's different? A video this morning of an animal that can barely keep himself upright and is not doing as good as he was is not going to convince me it is.

      I have no doubt that this is not greed motivated and I'm sure they think they are doing the right thing but they need to look at it from the animals point of view (not some humanised caricature that like wearing party hats and cares about his facebook following).

      Delete
  14. They are only doing that to help raise awareness of Dukes situation so that they can hopefully reach the right person who could help him. They aren’t stupid, they know what matters in life. The facebook following is important because the more people who see and know his story, the more likelihood of someone who can help him being reached! That is the reason for that.
    You don’t need to be convinced, thats not why they are doing this. Why on earth do you continue to watch him so closely if you are not in agreement?
    I saw the same video, and so did many others. You are in the minority, not a nice place to be, i agree, but please just step back now. You have made your point, repeatedly, and contradicted yourself repeatedly also.

    ReplyDelete