Monday, 24 November 2014

The Cheese Fiend

For as long as I can remember I have been in love with cheese. I loved a mature cheddar, or a yummy brie or stinky stilton! I was given a brie for christmas by a lovely someone who knew me well on more than one occasion! (wrapped up under the tree and everything).

Skip forward a few years to May 2014 and our decision to become Vegan…NO CHEESE!!!
I am so delighted with our change to a Vegan lifestyle since our eyes were opened to some of the awful truths of Animal ‘Welfare’ and I know that there is no way that I can see us going back. But the one thing I was really missing was cheese. The versatility, the texture, the taste mmmm.
My quick biscuits and cheese, the mounds of parmesan on pasta or the hot melty toast and cheese mmmm. What do I do now? Obviously I am exaggerating the issue, it’s not major but it was something that I missed.

Mr B came home from Tesco one day with Soy spready cheese and hard cheese. I was nearly in tears with happiness, but also painfully aware that this was going to be different….It was different, a bit too different. The hard cheese was yogurty in taste but had a good texture. However, the spready cheese was amazing! They had plain stuff like Dairylea, then some with flavours too. Biscuits and cheese were back on the cards!!! Happy happy happy!!

However, recently I was browsing the web and I suddenly stumbled upon a company called Vegusto….they make Vegan cheese, they have lots to choose from, they have great reviews….too good to be true!?!
I was put off by my previous experience and the cost of postage but there was a chance it could be worth it!

The day the cheese arrived was the best day of my life!!! (another exaggeration?) It was beautiful! The texture, the richness, the smell mmmm Cheese Heaven! This lead to the arrival of their starter kit - a wonderful selection of their award winning Vegan cheese! Theres a melty one, a parmesan style one, a blue cheese style one and even cheese sauce, which I haven’t tried yet but dying to! (I see macaroni cheese in our future!)
We had our first pizza since the Vegan changeover using the melty cheese and it was just amazing! Honestly, so tasty!

To top things off we discovered a local stockist!! Woohoo! Filled our fridge with a Vegusto selection. This company make other things too like sausages, roasts and sandwich meat and Vegusto uses only 100% natural ingredients that are sustainable and healthy!!

This is one contented Vegan cheese fiend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment